[DeTomaso] oil cooler

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 22:54:42 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/10/08 11 18 45, guson at home.se writes:

> Having just done this I have the installation process fairly fresh in my
> memory. I installed mine vertical (John Taphorn style) on the firewall but mine
> did not require a hole in the chassis. This seemed logical as my car already
> had the swirl tank removed by a previous owner. Thomas T installed his
> horizontal underneath the AC compressor. These both seem like a better position
> than up front as even with hardline parallel to the water tubes for the oil
> you're looking at quite a lot of hose plus all the transitions between hose and
> hardline which in itself will introduce restriction. Let me know if you need
> any more info later. Right now it's Friday night here and I've already
> started drinking! :-)

HAHAHA!!!

I thought about both of those options.   Unfortunately on my car, that area
is already very crowded.   I have the flat firewall kit which repositions the
alternator outboard of the A/C compressor, and I still have both bottles.
Mounting the cooler in that neighborhood would require extensive head-scratching
and re-plumbing of the cooling system.

Chris Difani also has a bunch of stuff going on over there, what with his
various electro-gimmicks (remote-control relay-actuated sun visor actuators and
whatnot).   So for us at least, that area isn't really feasible.   Mounting
them up front is a practical solution for us, and would be a practical solution
for most people.   Using Dash-10 hoses (short) and hard lines (long) should
prevent any meaningful restrictions to oil flow, as they would be a fair bit
larger than the OEM Ford hoses.

That's the idea anyway--we'll have to see how it works out before we start
pitching this idea to others.   I plan to instrument my car before installing
the thing, then driving up the road in third gear at 5000 rpm for a fixed
distance and taking oil and water temp measurements before and after implementation.