[DeTomaso] Air flow...

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 14:58:34 EDT 2008

All good questions, Chuck. Figure a WOT, street-prepped   351-C needs around
650 cubic feet per minute of air flow to 'break even', and that includes flow
losses for each induction bend and another loss for using the usual convoluted
tubing. Hopefully, also including some sort of air cleaner as well. To
ram-pressurize the air, somewhat more flow will be needed. Roof scoops work if
placed properly since air seems to flow off the windshield and up high over the
roof. So Colins' scoop mounted at the edge of the glass should theoretically be
better than Jr's at the rear 1/3 of the roof. And necessarily any roof scoop
will cut down interior head room and complicate any roll cage needed, especially
if one goes for the more efficient NACA-duct sunk into the roof surface.
Trouble with all this is, its almost 100% speculation or the results on one (1.0)
installation, for which we don't have all the alterations & facts. Which is
why I suggested that those interested try it on 'a' car and tell us what
happens.- Cheers- J Deryke