[DeTomaso] Oil Cooler

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 09:50:29 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/10/08 6 37 5, scottcouchman at yahoo.com writes:

> Mike, why do you think the air to oil coolers don't work in Panteras????
> Companies sell them, so I assume they work in other applications.
>
>>>There's really no place to put an air-to-oil cooler, due to the shape of
the car.   People like Bob Benson and Mad Dog have both tried numerous
different approaches, and all of them failed. :<(

The factory Gr4 cars did have a very wide, short air-to-oil cooler mounted
below and in front of the radiator; I don't know how well that worked.

> Air to water works and that's at a lower temperature differential than air
> to oil. Are people trying to mount the oil cooler and just 'scoop' air flow
> through without using a fan to suck air through??
>
>>>Even the fans don't seem to work once the car gets under way.

> I'm interested in cooling my oil, but I'd rather not add that additional
> heat load to the radiator......probably a common reason.
>
>>>Due to the much greater volume of coolant versus oil volume, the
temperatures aren't linear--that is, you don't add 20 degrees to the engine coolant
when you shed 20 degrees from the oil.   I've read here that it's about a 10-to-1
ratio, i.e. dropping 20 degrees of oil temp only adds 2 degrees of water
temp.

We'll see?