[DeTomaso] New Wheel Shopping

Mike Murray mjm at knology.net
Thu Oct 9 16:14:48 EDT 2008

Art, Here is my experience with a set of Marino's wheels that are the Boyd
Coddington's. I was driving the outer loop around Charleston, S.C. a couple
of weekends ago and was in the fast lane running around 70mph crossing over
one of the many tall bridges that we have here when a 4"X4" block of wood
appears from under the SUV that I'm following. I turned to avoid hitting the
thing straight on and instead hit it with my front right tire.I hit it so
hard that it shot across from the fast lane all the way over to the outside
of the bridge. Got the car off the road a mile or so away to check for
damage. Found no body damage and was so relieved that the tire was still up
and the car handled fine that I jumped back in and drove back to my shop
thinking I had dodged a bullet. Once back at my shop I looked again and
noticed that  I had in fact done some damage to the wheel and that the
alignment had suffered  with the front right tire toed all the way out. The
block of wood had bent the wheel at the valve stem about the size of a
quarter. The tire had stayed up and the car had driven as if nothing had
happened. I found a guy in town that said he could fix it but there may be a
small discoloration in that part of the wheel. He fixed the wheel in 15min
for $60.with no discoloration Took the car to my alignment shop pulled the
wheel and when they checked the balance it didn't even need to have any
weight added . The alignment took about 30min and I was back on the road. So
in conclusion I'd say that the campy clones that Marino sells take a licking
an keep on ticking   Mike  Yellow 73  El Gato