[DeTomaso] functional airscoops?

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Thu Oct 9 05:12:10 EDT 2008

I agree with JDR here. I should add that a scoop may generate more air

flow resistance than the area of the scoop itself. Cool air is the main
target.

The air is flowing under a relatively smooth underside until reaching the
rear

fire wall, where it sees an abrupt end, like a station wagon.  We all know

what such car looks like at there rear after a dirty road trip. The engine

bay becomes a giant road vacuum cleaner that went out over the rear deck

lid low pressure area. (Or maybe an open engine side window.)

I think it has one good side, which is reduced rear lift by feeding the over
lid

low pressure area with air out the "window" opening,  where a hatch back

design like early Porsche 911, show to be not so good.

If we look at plain function, a roof scoop will work quite well, but has the

downside of looking a little to much Donald Duck F1 play, in some eyes.

But even rear wings sometimes fall in to that sort of category, functional

or not.

Goran