[DeTomaso] water pump timing cover recommendation

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Oct 8 02:15:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/7/08 9:29:55 PM, rimov at charter.net writes:

> I know this has been brought up before. Any recommendations for an
> Cleveland water pump & has there ever been an aluminum timing cover made/available?

I like the Weiand 8209 pump- 17 years on the last one in Judys car. Its
lightweight aluminum and has no recirculation passage so you can run any Ford
thermostat (and some Chevys), not just the special 351C thermostat. It has one weak
spot: there are two cast-in ports- one for the thermal switch which no one
uses anymore, and one for the heater hose. If you tighten a pipe fitting into
the lower one, the edge is very thin and can crack. I TIG-welded a plug there;
no more trouble.
Jegs and/or Summitt recently listed an economical aluminum front cover for
the 351C, but I've not verified this isn't just a catalogue mistake. The 351W
has a stock aluminum front cover, so be sure to clarify to whoever you talk to
that you don't want a Windsor cover! Good luck- J Deryke

New
MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.  Dining, Movies, Events,
News & more. Try it out!