[DeTomaso] Post SS Forensics on "The Beast"

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 7 07:37:16 EDT 2008

The engine is at the shop getting torn-down.
So far I noticed:
    Water in all cylinders
    #7 missing the spark plug electrode
    #7 valve seat partially "eaten", discoloration at this end of the head
    Signs of detonation (coloration of plugs and exhaust)
    Oil everywhere

The tops of the pistons look OK and I don't see any visible cracks in the cylinder walls

The head gaskets look fine, no obvious damage

The intake manifold bolts were loose, this may be where the water came from, although one mechanic is theorizing thicker head gaskets should have been used to handle "The Beast's" 13:5 to 1 compression ratio.

It appears so far the massive oil leaks came were caused by the valve cover gaskets getting loose (note: locktite next time)

One theory is the water in the cylinders led to the detonation. More likely it was the higher elevation.

I'll know more when the shop finishes maggng everything.

At least it finished 85 out of 90 miles.
Got my speed trap certificate yesterday, 162 mph. Not bad for no front air dam or skirts.

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456