[DeTomaso] Installation Locations for Nitrous Oxide Bottles

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 16:42:39 EDT 2008

<<< I've seen the Pantera that has two bottles mounted over the ZF, and while that works,
it certainly does limit the use of the luggage tub.... and I don't want to lose that utility if at
all possible. >>>

Hi Chris,

I don't have a nitrous system and haven't seen an installation in a Pantera other than the
twin bottles mounted over the ZF, but here are a few alternative mounting locations, which
seem obvious but may or may not be practical...

1) In the engine compartment ahead of the passenger-side rear wheel. This is a common
place to mount oil coolers or secondary AC condensors. However, I don't know if the NOS
bottles have certain mounting limitations regarding their orientation. That may limit the
viability of this location.

2) The front trunk. If there isn't sufficient room for a ten pound bottle, you should be able to
mount two five pound bottles. The distance from the engine shouldn't be a problem as
most front engined cars mount their bottles in the trunk and have a longer run to reach the
engine.

3) In the passenger compartment (probably illegal or very unsafe, but I'll let the experts
respond on this one). It seems like there's sufficient room on the floor behind each seat to
mount a five pound bottle. The lines could be plumbed through the firewall where the shift
linkage or heater hoses pass through. Again, this is only a guess and may be extremely
unsafe to have a high pressure bottle of NOS in the cabin with you.

Those are just a few ideas, and they're only guesses as I have not actually seen a Pantera
with bottles mounted in any of these locations.

Cheers!
Garth