[DeTomaso] Oil pan gasket recommendation?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 16:16:36 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/1/08 10:42:57 AM, adin at frontier.net writes:

> Is there such a thing as toooooooo much oil pressure? (I see cold starts in
> single digit weather)  IS the old wive's tale of "washed bearings" true?

Of course there is. Besides the remote possibility of erosion-damage (or
washed-out   bearings) is the possibility of high oil pressure
overheating/degrading the oil on long fast runs, and the real possibilty of valve float in
hydraulic-lifter engines due to too much oil pressure. I've seen this this last one
happen! Over 90 psi hot @ 2500 rpms in a pushrod Ford is too much, incidently.
NO street car needs more than 60 psi hot or 40 psi cold pressure, no matter
how macho you may be. FWIW- J DeRyke