[DeTomaso] Oil pan gasket recommendation?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 13:18:11 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/1/08 10 03 3, msm at portata.com writes:

> Are you running with the stock pan?

What a silly question.   What right-thinking race-track-driving Pantera
driver would run with a stock pan???? :>)

I've got an Aviaid 10-quart pan, and a huge oil leak from the front of the
engine.   Everybody presumed it was from the front of the intake, but no--I
pulled the intake earlier this year to have the top machined down so that the air
cleaner would fit under the screen, and there was no evidence of leaking
there--either before or after.

It's either coming from the front seal on the oil pan, or the front main
seal.   I need to troubleshoot it further.   I will probably just go ahead and
change the oil pump and the oil pan gasket at the same time, although hopefully
before then I will have found the source of the leak, so if it's the front main
seal, I can do everything at once.

Interestingly, the engine doesn't leak oil during normal cruise (at least,
not as far as I can see?)   However, two dyno runs (totalling perhaps 15 seconds
of wide-open throttle between them?) resulted in a dinner-plate-sized puddle
of oil on the dyno. :<(

So the problem seems to be rpm/load dependant.   FWIW I have 75+ psi of oil
pressure at 2000 rpm; the gauge is pegged so I can't see how high it actually
goes.   But the oil appears to be leaking from a low-pressure area, i.e. oil
pan or front main seal, so that doesn't seem to be a contributing factor.