[DeTomaso] spark plugs

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 01:56:11 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/30/08 15 02 1, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> any opinion. I have been told to use platinum plugs with a "hot"electronic
> ignition and I have been told to use regular ( auto lite ar 3924 )plugs
> who's right?

That depends.   Are you talking about a Pantera?   In that case, platinum
plugs are at best a waste of money, and at worst an opportunity to get some
walking exercise in as little as 50 miles.

Platinum plugs work great in an engine that is precisely controlled via
modern fuel injection.   Carburetors are at best an 80% solution to the combustion
problem, and the mixture is almost never ideal.   Platinum plugs reportedly
foul under such conditions.

Standard plugs are the way to go--and as a bonus, they're cheaper too!