[DeTomaso] fuel gauge

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 22:01:05 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/30/08 17 31 32, Pantera007 at provamo.com writes:

> So it comes as no surprise that the vendors have found a new source
> (and I watched the prices fall by more than 50%).  I suspect the replacement
> is not
> quite 100% compatible, even when I consider that it just can't be that
> complicated.

No.   Wilkinson tooled up and had 1000 (!) new senders fabricated from
scratch exactly to the Pantera specification.   I've examined one alongside a 1970s
original and they are identical.

While the basic mechanism is common to a number of other Italian cars, they
differ in detail in terms of their shape, etc.   These new senders are not just
Alfa Romeo senders or whatever.   They are purpose-built for the task at
hand.

They are of the later, L-model type, with the fuel pickup integral to the
sender.

It's a fairly straightforward matter to test the sender's function prior to
installation.   If it works in your hand and doesn't work when installed in
your tank, either it needs a minor tweak, or the installer screwed something up
fundamentally.