[DeTomaso] RENO FERNLEY ADVICE NEEDED

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 30 13:02:21 EST 2008

Here’s my take on the configurations; considering predominantly Pantera’s running, the three run group abilities and spectator viewing;

Full 4.2 mile course; Challenging with 23 corners to remember, plenty of track to spread your legs without bumper to bumper racing. Good mix of corners, elevation change and ‘horsepower’ straights.

This is the configuration that most of the HDPE/PDX events use as it provides a great performance driving experience for all level of drivers.

Downside for newcomers is there are 23 corners to remember.

Courses B&C, 2.8 & 3 miles;
As above but loses mid straight, which is a designated passing zone and corner 17 a long sweeper that can also be a passing zone for Group A and B
Also loses slide chicane – one of my favorite parts of the track, one of Larry Stock’s most hated (ask him).
These configurations eliminate the most visible part of the track from the pit area, so family, friends, pit crew etc. only really get to see cars on the main straightaway.

Course D, ~2.5 miles; Loses the portion on the back side of the hill, retains good elevation change and number of passing zones for the length of track. Also retains most visible portions of track from pit area. More geared to the higher horsepower cars.
Personally I’d go for the full 4.2 miles, but if it’s a shorter track that the majority want then Course D is one to consider.

There are a few local guys that instruct at RFR and generally hang around the track if there’s something going on. They are usually all too keen to get some jump seat time, so maybe we can muster up one or two to sit in for a couple laps each for novices/newcomers to the track to show them the racing line and add another dimension to people’s experience?

Also for diehard racers bear in mind RFR is at 4,200 ft elevation for set up and tuning. We me be able to broker a deal at one of the local chassis dyno’s (C&C Automotive in Reno, or Marco/Benson Bros. Racing in Carson City) prior to the event (Wednesday?) if there is enough interest.

Julian LARRY FINCH WROTE;All, As many of you now know, the Fun Rally and the associated PCNC SpeedTrials track event will be moving to Reno for 2009. Reno Fernley Raceeway has a huge 4.2 mile course with MANY differentlayouts available. Iwould like any of you who have driven that track to give me somesuggestions-wisdom-advice on what layout PCNC should considerusing forour event. To refresh your memory, you can view the layouts here: http://tinyurl.com/642s4r This is YOUR chance to get the track YOU want. The lines are open at fresnofinches (at) aol.com Larry