[DeTomaso]  CLUTCH BASICS / Dick Ruzzin

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 11:23:00 EST 2008

I had a 66 Vette with a 425 HP 427 that redlined at 6,750.  I remember going to Lyons Drag Strip in the early 70s and the clutch pedal staying on the floor when I shifted at red line.  People said you could put something under the pedal to limit how far you could depress it, and that would work, but at the time all I could do was shift at a little over 6,000.  I'm sure that under the right conditions (maybe when the spring was new?) it worked, but if it wasn't just right, it didn't.

I asked the McLeod tech guy at the SEMA show about it, and he said they had solved the problem years ago, I think by changing the spring shape.

Ken