[DeTomaso]  CLUTCH BASICS / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Nov 29 20:00:43 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/29/08 12:24:51 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> Several clutch manufactures appear to offer dual friction disks, but I'm
> not sure if they are the same as the Centerforce.  What I thought was really
> different is the weights shown here....

Not only do the sliding weights increase holding power, but they may have
cured another problem that wrecked the reputation of the diaphragm clutch as a
'performance part'. Back in the mid '60s when GM used them on 'Vettes and Z-28s,
they had a horrible reputation as not being shift-able above about 5000 rpms.
If you revved up a straight-finger, weight-less diaphragm clutch and stepped
on the pedal to do a shift, the clutch over-centered and the clutch pedal
stayed on the floor until the revs dropped significantly! Needless to say, no one
used GM diaphragm clutches in drag racing or for much of anything else
performance-wise after that was discovered. Centerforce did   good things with their
modifications IMHO- J DeRyke