[DeTomaso]  CLUTCH BASICS / Dick Ruzzin

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Sat Nov 29 16:07:31 EST 2008

Another interesting point is what Sachs tells in their tech papers.
"At fi rst glance, one might think that the mass
of a clutch (5-10 kg) is negligible in comparison

to the mass of the vehicle to be accelerated

(ca. 1000 kg). What is often overlooked

here, however, is the reduction of transmission.

If the clutch itself has a moment of inertia

(MoI) of 0.061 kgm2, the MoI on the drive

wheel will be 180 times higher (in fi rst gear)

for a reduction in transmission of 13.4:1

(13.42). If we convert this value into vehicle

mass, we arrive around 145 kg of additional

weight to be accelerated in fi rst gear. This

inertia effect declines as the gear ratio decreases.

Users"

Goran