[DeTomaso] GPS advice requested

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 15:09:40 EST 2008

If it was literally 5 years ago, then they've come a long way. Back then,
the GPS programs suggested taking every exit and re-entering beltways
because it was mathematically shorter to do that than to remain on the main
ring road of a city. That was aggravating.

I love my phone with built-in GPS. It uses TomTom and satellites, just like
a "normal" GPS. By having everything integrated in a single device I don't
have to carry 16 chargers and devices. E-mail in real time, Internet,
bluetooth, wifi, gps... oh yeah, it has a phone too.

It sounds as though a GPS device that uses the cell towers to calculate
position may be limited, but there are many out there that function as a
traditional GPS device and I have found them to work quite well. The
performance of newer devices improves every 6 months. I travel extensively
for my job and it's a lifesaver.

Just one person's opinion.