[DeTomaso]  CLUTCH BASICS / Dick Ruzzin

dyogi dyogi at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Nov 29 13:37:30 EST 2008

Aloha Dick,

I found the following on clutch types:

HYPERLINK
"http://www.competitionplus.com/03_25_2004/clutch_univ2.html"http://www.comp
etitionplus.com/03_25_2004/clutch_univ2.html

They guy that I got the tip from is an old time racing legend here in
Hawaii.  He's old school where much has come from trial and error, much of
the lessons learned have been from actually trying things in an era where
technology wasn't that great.  He's running the same setup in his Pantera
which probably has over 500 HP.  When he explained it to me, I also had my
doubts but he's never steered me wrong yet which is why I tried it.  The
McLeod already had high clamping power which is why the pedal was stiff.
Removing the spring like Goran said took off 33%.  The centrifugal nature of
this clutch makes up for this loss.  When doing a normal take off, the
remaining springs are enough to hold the clutch without slipping.  On high
RPM take offs, the centrifugal characteristics increase the clamping power.
My engine probably puts out above 350HP and I have not had any slipping
problems yet even running a new aluminum flywheel.  I will let you know if I
find any flaws with this setup but for now it appears to be OK.  I have a
mountain run up a steep twisty road next weekend which will be a good test
for the setup.

Aloha,

Dennis

Checked by AVG.