[DeTomaso]  CLUTCH BASICS / Dick Ruzzin

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Nov 29 13:34:09 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/29/08 9:52:48 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I think a lot of people have used the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch with
> fairly healthy Clevelands.  But I think Dennis (MD) had to upgrade when he
> started making more HP?  My recollection is that Bob Byers provided something
> that is still working.

Centerforce has two clutches that I've put in various Panteras. The first is
their std unit, which needs a redrilled flywheel, uses next-size up bolts WITH
stand-off washers included. This works well for street driven cars but unless
you can accurately drill & tap, you'll need their high-priced flywheel to go
with the clutch. The second is their heavy-duty 'racing' unit that is much
stiffer and is no fun at all to drive on the street. Same problem with bolt
pattern, flywheel, bolts etc. Wouldn't recommend this for any car not 100% raced.
The dual-friction thing is their proprietary clutch disc that has different
friction surfaces for the clutch and flywheel sides. FWIW- J DeRyke