[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 52, Issue 28- Oil pressure

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 28 16:51:01 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/28/08 11:03:52 AM, RCBSONS1 at aol.com writes:

> Any one ever put a graphite rear main seal in???... it looks like a rope
> seal to me.  Pontiac vendor down south states this is all he uses now on his
> builds.

You're probably right in your guess, Bob. Quite a few rope seals from the
early '70s were graphite-impregnated. Installation was tricky since you needed to
'roll' the seal into the gap usually with a hammer-handle or a piece of pipe,
then trim the excess to length. You cannot overlap the ends as with a
neoprene seal to prevent leaks, and rope seals have high crank drag for the first 30
minutes or so of running, but if they haven't sprung a leak by then, they
settle in and are OK. I wouldn't use one today on a bet... FWIW- J Deryke