[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 52, Issue 28- Oil pressure

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Fri Nov 28 14:03:14 EST 2008

With all the talk of low oil pressure and clutch replacements
it is my next project to get my Firebird autocross car up and
running again

I had the motor built by a drag racer... a destroked 455 with
a larger bore coming out at 440 inches... he did a mod to the
oil pump... the ram air mod... I think just a spring... when I fire
the motor up it is reading over 100 psi I can finally get it to
settle down to 80 psi at idle...It finally took out the rear main
but I kept driving it and then the clutch because it was too
oil soaked....

Pulling the motor and installing a new 60psi pump, graphite rear
main seal... the new thing from a Pontiac engine builder down  south....
and replacing the clutch with a diaphram clutch similar to an L88
unit.... motor is 530 lbs of torque with 430hp... Poncho power!!!

Any one ever put a graphite rear main seal in???... it looks like
a rope seal to me.  Pontiac vendor down south states this is
all he uses now on his builds.

Bob Benson Black #3 Pantera
AOL.com.