[DeTomaso] clutch?

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Thu Nov 27 02:17:18 EST 2008

Holding power is a bit tricky to calculate, we need a number of inputs to
get a representative number. Clutch diameter, type of friction iron, coefficient
of friction for the disc, clamping force and further more physical dimensions
to fit the aplication.
But I should see if I can come up with some sort of simple formula for a rough
holding power number based on such unspecific things as "sinter", "organic",
taken for garanteed that those materials have about the same numbers for
different brands. Also, the steel used for friction should also be roughly the same.
Then we need diameter, clamping force and number of discs/material for inputs.

In our case we also need to know rotational inertia for both the disc (for the cyncros)
and total asembly for the engine as such even if that is another story from friction.

I was looking at this right now as I are tying to find a more street friendly clutch
than my 8" sinter race solid disc unit.

I know that the standard long clutch will not handle my Tq, so I have ordered a 11"
3000 p unit. I should start of with an organic disk with stiff shock springs to see
how it turns out. I search for smoth engagement but dont really care if pedal
pressure is high.
Goran