[DeTomaso] clutch

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 16:16:43 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/26/08 5:00:41 AM, oldveloce at comcast.net writes:
snip.....
> ....using a Centerforce clutch with a Tilton hydraulic release bearing on
> his "test mule" track car. One of the primary reasons that I installed mine is
> the greater precision that you can use to set the proper clearances. I seem
> to recall that the Tilton unit had a set screw....

Biggest problem is, Tiltons were pro- racing assemblies. Tilton never made a
unit for the ZF/Pantera. On the several Tiltons I converted for our car and
for friends, I fabricated ZF noses for the Tilton from 6061-aluminum. The Tilton
annular assembly then threads on and is locked into a boss with a
safety-wired allen stripper-bolt. The 'commercial' units still available from D Quella
and I believe is on Larry Finch's Pantera, uses a drop-on threaded sleeve &
large jam-nut on a stock steel ZF nose,and the jam-nuts apparently come loose. Due
to the difficulty in initial set-up and maybe this on-road loosening, few
vendors still offer this setup anymore, which is a shame. On our dozen or so
annual Las Vegas Fun Rallies, I carried a spare throwout assembly, and predictably
never needed it. FWIW- J Deryke