[DeTomaso] Newbie with parts request

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 15:45:35 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/25/08 5:55:27 PM, mghibli7 at hotmail.com writes:

> Hello, Newbie here with a recently aqcuired '73 Pantera #5910. This car has
> a cracked driver's side (left) exhaust manifold. Is this common? I would
> like to replace it with an original instead of the header. Is there anyone out
> there with a used one, or pair, that they would be willing to part with? Also,
> what are the odds of finding a pair of 10" Campagnolos out there? It seems
> like everyone is converting to aftermarket wheels. This car is very original,
> I would prefer to keep it that way as much as possible. I am in the southwest
> USA.

Stock in the U.S or other countries? Virtually all the stock
stampings-and-tube headers cracked or are about to crack from heat expansion, due to the poor
design. An uncracked set means the car hasn't been driven much.
European-optional GTS semi-equal-length headers don't crack and add a little power,
especially if combined with the matching Euro-GTS mufflers. 10" Campy wheels were also
optional in Europe-only and are available- used- from many of the Pantera
parts vendors, mostly reconditioned due to their ability to age-harden and crack
unless stress-relieved every few decades or so. They are not popular now due
to the almost complete lack of speed-rated tires in suitable sizes for these
(and other 15") wheels. One vendor just sold a pair of 15x 10" traded in from a
car that got 17" Campy lookalikes. Make some calls- J Deryke