[DeTomaso] clutch

Forest Majors oldveloce at comcast.net
Wed Nov 26 08:00:12 EST 2008

Larry... I can fully understand why you would not want another internal slave cylinder given your experience.

I suspect that brother Mark will just use his existing SS long-throw external slave cylinder when he replaces the clutch on his "mule". Mark has two Panteras - one that he is building to be a dedicated race car (street legal but set up for track events) and his first Pantera that he is using as a "test mule" for racing components that he will move to his dedicated race car when proven on the track. Mark blew his clutch after putting about 500 miles on the Dayton track. So I thought that he might be better served using a Centerforce clutch with a Tilton hydraulic release bearing on his "test mule" track car.

One of the primary reasons that I installed mine is the greater precision that you can use to set the proper clearances. I seem to recall that the Tilton unit had a set screw - but it was back in the 80s when I installed mine. But you are right, if the clutch slave fails it is easier to replace the external unit. My only argument with using them is that most guys never get them adjusted correctly - and they are always in the way when you have to work on your engine.

Later - Forest Majors