[DeTomaso] clutch

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 22:15:20 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/25/08 19 07 34, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

>  Mike, so you know if Quela sold the McLeod hydraulic throwout?
>
>>>Yes, that's the only kind he's ever carried.

> McLeod seems to sell a lot of them.  I always heard that you have to be
> careful about depressing the pedal quickly if it hasn't been used for a while.
> That should not happen when you are out and about, only when the car has set
> for a while.

I've heard the same thing.   I'm always very cautious with mine initially.

The one in my Pantera has worked flawlessly, but I also had one in my Cobra
and it blew itself to bits one day.   BLEAH and all the hydraulic fluid was on
the ground, I was clutchless, and 45 miles from home on a two-lane road.
Managed to get the car home by speed-shifting it.

The problem was largely caused by misapplication of the part--the existing
unit was designed for an on-off racing clutch with very little throw, and it was
being over-extended with the conventional clutch that was in the car.   It
was replaced with a Tilton unit that has been working perfectly for a number of
years now.

But I still wish I had external slave cylinders on both cars....