[DeTomaso] Revers gear lever protection lip

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 02:38:08 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/24/08 22 56 10, bflesland at gmail.com writes:

> Who can possibly have the gear chrome plate with the revers lever
> protection lip?
> A friend who has a 1974 Pantera needs one.
> I realize some cars have the lip and some don't. What year did it came?
> My 1977 GTS car came without it and another friend who has a 1980 car has
> it.
> Roland, do you stock it?

This was used on the Gr3 and Gr4 race cars.   I purchased the very last one
the factory had in their inventory, when I visited them back in 1996.

Here's a photo:

Note that it (and the accompanying shift lever I bought at the same time) is
black chrome, as opposed to regular chrome.   The reverse lockout is a simple
affair cobbled together using a piano-hinge type of mechanism.   Note that
they welded it to the shift gate after it had been chromed, discoloring it where
it joins the shift gate.

More subtly, note that the shift gate itself is different.   Normal shift
gates feature rectangular cutouts for each gear selector slot, but this one has
rounded cutouts.

I never got around to installing it, although I do have the Gr4 shift lever
mounted in the car.   I had originally planned to black out all the chrome
inside the car (using GT5 gauges, switches etc.) but later thought better of it.
In fact, I may buy a new chrome shift lever and then remove the black one,
leaving both this Gr4 shift gate and lever surplus to the cause.

Or alternately, I might just have this one stripped and re-chromed.   It's
definitely a back-burner project though....