[DeTomaso] Rep. Kit for stock brakes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 15:58:16 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/21/08 5:44:42 AM, torbjorn.harlem at elverhoy.no writes:

> Anybody with a good idea to buy repair kit for my stock .71 brakes?
> Piston and house in very good condition but the gaskets and rubber seal (?) has
> drying out.

What exactly is leaking? All the U.S vendors sell reasonably priced caliper
overhaul kits front & back, but to fix a leaking brake master cylinder is
complicated. Years ago, someone exceeded their talents in fixing things and crashed
shortly after a brake repair. So Bendix-Italia now only sells the entire new
master cylinder attached to a new vacuum booster. Parts of our brake systems
were made by Girling and the rights were sold to someone in England decades
ago. The caliper pistons as you probably know are nickel plated mild steel. Not
changing brake fluid yearly allows absorbed water to rust under the piston's
plating, causing pits. And it takes a very close visual check to decide if a
leak is from a pitted caliper piston or a dried out, cracked seal ring. A
surprisingly small piston pit will fail a new seal, and no OEM pistons are available.
This is also a real problem for Porsche and many other European cars, all of
whom use mild steel pistons in their calipers. It's not difficult to fabricate
new pistons from stainless steel bar stock, but no one does this
commercially, likely due to liability. Good luck- J Deryke

One site has it a
ll. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the
new AOL.com
today!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212962939x1200825291/aol?redir=http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp%26icid=aolcom40vanity%26ncid=eml
cntaolcom00000001)