[DeTomaso] FW:  inside rear view mirror vibrates

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 19:16:54 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/19/08 18 43 8, cengles at cox.net writes:

>                   I know how you feel.   After thousands of cross country
> miles, I still reach up to steady the center rear view mirror to better
> assess "threats" behind me.

My mirror vibrated so badly it was unuseable.   This was caused by user
error--it didn't vibrate when I bought the car, but after it was totally taken
apart and put back together, it did.

I had been a little tentative when reinstalling the mirror base.   It screws
through the fiberglass header piece into the underside of the roof structure,
and there is a fairly pronounced air gap there.   Tightening the screws
further would distort the interior trim, while still allowing the mirror to flap
around a bit.

I wound up using multiple layers of tire innertube as a spacer between the
upper side of the fiberglass trim, and the underside of the roof panel.   That
has cured about 90% of the vibration.   I'm sure if I tightened the screws
further, it would get even better, but it's good enough so I leave it alone.

I can't tell if the vibration is caused by engine vibes, or chassis, but I
think it's due to slightly flatspotted tires.   I could always diagnose it by
getting to the top of a big hill, then quickly shutting off the engine and
turning the key back on (to make sure the steering lock doesn't engage!) but I've
never been brave enough or curious enough to try it!