[DeTomaso] Pantera collector cars?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 14:25:13 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/18/08 11:08:59 AM, partsman912 at aol.com writes:

> My observation is that there are so many modified Pantera's that it appears
> fragmented with no continuity. Now first let me defend anyone who wants to
> modify their car , I've done it numerous times? thats the owners choice. But
> is it fair to say that there as more modified Panteras than original ones ?

Yes, but.....This is the same argument as between owners of stock 4-cylinder
flathead '32 Ford roadsters vs owners of chopped & channeled engine-swapped
'32 Fords: what do you plan to do with the thing? ANY older Italian sportscar
was built by old-world craftsmen, with the tacit understanding that the machine
will be 95% as-represented and you will finish it to your own tastes. Not
doing this will leave you with a car that often does not fulfil the promises the
salesmen make.
In the case of the Pantera, because Ford was trying to beat AMC and GM to
market with the first economical mid-engine supercar (both AMC & Gm's turned out
to be pure hype), Ford skipped their own excellent project evaluation system
that would have caught the minor problems which soured its initial reputation.
Then for various reasons, Ford abandoned the project only 3 years into it.
This left the problem-solving inherent in any new mechanism to the distributors
and ultimately, to creative early owners like Gary Hall who not only solved a
number of its annoying problems, but then sold the parts necessary for others
to correct them in their cars.
But looked at realistically, any 39-year-old car that still moves under its
own power is not badly flawed. Several are known to have covered over 250,000
miles. As far as 'buying for investment', anyone that buys a car to make money
gets exactly what he deserves..... These are affordable contrivances to
transport people about the planet in fine style at higher-than-usual velocities with
some but not perfect safety. They were not intended to be full-sized static
display models to be oooh-ed and ahh-ed at, and are also not home appliances.
They take some amount of understanding and care-&-feeding. My wife's 1972
Pantera has been modified to provide much better handling than when new and more
performance while still appearing very close to the designer's dreams. We are
approaching 30 years of driving pleasure with it, not just ownership.
If you are a car fancier that get pleasure from actually driving your
machines and tinkering with them, I recommend a well-sorted Pantera. If on the other
hand you are the sort that considers any deviation from the factory's efforts
a mistake and don't consider hands-on work theraputic, avoid it and get
something thats impossible to work on- such as almost any later model electronically
controlled performance car. Good luck- J DeRyke