[DeTomaso] 153 vs 164 tooth flywheel Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 13:34:09 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/18/08 10:02:33 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> 1)  the seller said it's common to convert from a 164 to 153 tooth
> flywheel, but drill a second mounting hole and bolt the starter a bit closer to the
> flywheel.  This sounds too easy???
>
> 2)  get a 164 tooth ring gear for the aluminum flywheel?  does anyone make
> ring gears to do a conversing like this???
>
> 3)  have a 164 tooth flywheel drilled to bolt the twin disk setup onto it.
> It appears that the only difference is the location of the holes???

1- this is common on GM engines. I'd never heard of it being done on a Ford.
Good luck.
2- I bought a brand new 164-tooth stock-replacement flywheel ring gear from
Kragens 2 years ago, made by Pioneer. Cost was less than $20. The unit does not
have positive-retention tabs nor a place to add a dowel to keep the steel
gear from spinning on the aluminum flywheel when temperatures change, so you'll
need to add something.   If you have a commercial flywheel, I'd call the
manufacturer and avoid having to braze tabs or machine a dowel hole. Shrink-fitting
the big gear onto a flywheel was not fun either.
3- as long as you or someone else can drill the necessary holes to within
about 0.002" of true center and tap them straight, this can be done. Drilling
off-center a little will cause the assembly to shake uncontrollably and
rebalancing may not cure it. Not tapping straight will cause the bolts to bend when
tightened, possibly weakening the highly stressed assembly. Good luck, Ken- J
Deryke