[DeTomaso] Panteras  VS.  Other collector cars

Douglas Kelm dakelm at qwest.net
Wed Nov 19 03:14:56 EST 2008

Well, not quite. While I did "give" my Pantera away, I still turned a tidy profit on it (as you would expect to do over a 10 year ownership period). The '32 was also bought right (I didn't build it myself) and will absolutely turn a profit. The only question is: How much? Sh*t, I've got a portfolio full of stocks that have absolutely UNDERPERFORMED any collector car I've ever owned (even over comparable time spans). And I'm sure I'm not alone in this scenario. Not that cars can't be disappointing investments (review the collector car bubble implosion of 1989). But I'm willing to bet a substantial amount that over the last ten years to date, well bought cars have returned more than the Dow Jones index.

Doug