[DeTomaso] 153 vs 164 tooth flywheel Question

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 13:01:48 EST 2008

I can buy a McLeod Street Twin that's like new for less than half price, has the right disks, pressure plate, etc., but a 153 tooth flywheel.  The cost of the correct 164 tooth flywheel from McLeod is over $500, so that's not a good option.  But how about:

1)  the seller said it's common to convert from a 164 to 153 tooth flywheel, but drill a second mounting hole and bolt the starter a bit closer to the flywheel.  This sounds too easy???

2)  get a 164 tooth ring gear for the aluminum flywheel?  does anyone make ring gears to do a conversing like this???

3)  have a 164 tooth flywheel drilled to bolt the twin disk setup onto it.  It appears that the only difference is the location of the holes???

Any positive suggestions would be appreciated.  At the very worst, I can buy the flywheel from McLeod and still save $200.

And I have researched the disengagement requirements of the twin disk clutch given the cost of ZF syncros.  The Street Twin need 1/2 inch, and that means 1 inch throw with a 3/4 MC if I use a McLeod hydraulic throwout, which is fairly typical.

Ken