[DeTomaso] Scraping & Sanding - Suggestions?

Erik Anderson eanderson at geotracinternational.com
Mon Nov 17 14:49:38 EST 2008

Well, I removed all the heat fabric from the cockpit side of my firewall
this weekend, including the pieces on the bulkhead cover.  The old
material came off fairly easily, but there is some glue and other
material (sealer/rubber) that must now be scraped off.  Two questions

- Any suggestions for what tools to use for the scraping?  I was
thinking that a blow-dryer and 4" drywall taping knife would get me to
the bare metal fairly easily.

- Any suggestions for the type of sandpaper (specific grit) to use to
finish the job?

The next step will be to Dynamat/Koolmat the firewall - so I'd like as
smooth and clean a surface as possible.  I'm probably going to do my
floor pans afterwards as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

EA