[DeTomaso] NPC - GM Dex-cool help needed

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 13:04:34 EST 2008

There's apparently an issue with mostly-aluminum engines. Honda and
Caterpillar both found that "std" anti-freezes had been made for years with a high
proportion of silica abrasives added to it. This was intended to scour iron blocks
clean of hard water scale for better heat transfer. Some sort of detergent
was also added to keep the particles in suspension. In aluminum engines, the
scouring was sometimes too aggressive leading to internal wear that we often
thought was 'erosion', and waterpump seal life was shortened- sometimes
drastically. This led to 'non-abrasive' formulas and finally to the red-colored
'long-life' anti-freezes for owners too busy or not smart enough to change the stuff
yearly. I'm not sure what Dex-Cool's place is in this confusion.   I just use
the std stuff and change it yearly; my mostly-aluminum cooling system has
lasted just fine with our not-hard water. Good luck- J Deryke