[DeTomaso] NPC 2009 Audi A4

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 02:22:43 EST 2008

Why would she want to get a non-quattro model?
****I'm guessing it's economic. I've spent a lot of time in the Audi dealer
over the past few weeks and there is a SIGNIFICANT price difference between
quattro and non-quattro, at least when buying new.

(Can't help you Jeff because I imagine that the situation in the US is much
different than in Europe due to shipping. Over here you can get an A4
basically immediately, an A6 in 6 weeks, and the A5's have a 3 month waiting
list if you order today. There's no difference over here between quattro or
non-quattro models. I also agree with Thomas, as my current car is an A6
quattro, even in the dry or rain, the handling is greatly superior in the
quattro, assuming it enters in your car-budget)

I have been having audis as daily drivers since the mid 1980:s, and
occasionally do something really stupid, like get a non-quattro model. I
curse myself until I finally get a quattro again.

It is true that the quattro is probably more useful here where we do get
snow now and then, but even in the summer I find that quattros are more
enjoyable and neutral handling than the FWD:s.

OTOH they do weigh more and fuel consumption is slightly worse.

I also think that the first generation quattro system is superior to the
later generations if you get stuck. It has real vacuum operated center
and rear locker diffs. The later ones are either torsen or some stupid
ESP/ABS controlled contraption.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated! (And would make look like a hero,
too
> %^))
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff