[DeTomaso] 2V Heads?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 16 21:24:14 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/16/08 17 31 54, jmontero at fcmat.org writes:

> I am getting ready to replace my 4V closed chamber cast iron heads with
> a set of 2V aluminum units.  My current intake is an Edelbrock
> Performer.  I'm assuming that I need to replace my 4V Performer with a
> 2V Performer.  It makes sense but I thought I would ask.

Yes, you're right, in that you need to replace the intake.   I don't think
the 2V Performer is very highly favored for high-performance applications,
however.   (It's probably great for a Bronco or a truck).   If you don't care about
the engine screen, you can fit the new Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, which
is nominally designed to work with the Edelbrock heads:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/ford/rpm_air_gap-351c.sht
ml

It's too tall to allow you to run the engine screen.   If you are going to
keep the screen, there are other options available to you.   I believe Dan Jones
recommended:

Weiand X-Celerator 351V-2V (7516)
- low rise single plane with Holley carb bolt pattern
- ports are larger than head ports. It's essentially pre-ported and
requires the heads be match ported to the intake.

I think that's what he recommended to Charlie McCall, who's 351C is now
sporting iron Aussie heads and this intake.   Given that Dan is running this intake
on his own engine, I'd have to say it's a pretty safe guess!   One thing I KN
OW for sure, Charlie's motor is very, very strong!   If the Edelbrock head
ports are larger than stock 2V size, you might not need to do any work to them.

Here's a direct link to a series of comments by Dan on the various 351C
intakes available:

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/DanJones351CIntakes.html

and more on intakes, by Dan, on the Panteraplace website:

http://www.panteraplace.com/page35.htm