[DeTomaso] NPC - GM Dex-cool help needed

fresnofinches at aol.com fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Nov 16 19:49:04 EST 2008

Well, I noticed a bit of oil dripping from our '01 Astro
with a 4.6
some months ago, figured it was a small
crack in the plastic front
timing cover, and decided I
could live with it.
?? Last week or so I noticed another leaking fluid,
this time the red antifreeze.
?? So
today I dragged out the trouble lights, ramps and
started to seek out
the source of the antifreeze leak.
Hoses? No. Radiator? No. Water pump?
No.
Just seems to be coming from somewhere on the engine,
but not
visible.
?? Off to the WWW, where I learn the full implications
of leaks and GM's Dex-cool.
?? Yup, the radiator cap is showing signs of sludge
contamination.  And low coolant levels.
?? Sooooo,
what now? Do I do a full system flush,
run water for a week or two,
flush again, add the tried
and true green antifreeze and can of Bars
Leak and
hope for the best?
Your knowledgeable input is needed.
?? And while we are at it, what about my daughter's 2005
Equinox?  Should I be taking precautions on that vehicle?

Larry