[DeTomaso] Exhaust system fabrication notes

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 13 13:21:42 EST 2008

*Since my post on the my pending (?) sale of my Mind Train exhaust
system, I have had many inquiries about the exhaust system I  fabricated.

For those that may be interested, I used Flowmaster mufflers, part
number 9430402  <http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/40_delta.html>.  As
you can see on their web site, they offer various inlet and outlet size
variations of this muffler.

I chose the specific Flowmaster to get the right combination of  inlet
size (3"), dual 2-1/2" outlets, and a **4-1/4" X 9-4/4" **cross  section
profile to fit into the existing body cutouts.  I cut off the inlet end
cap, gutted all but one of the V shaped baffles, cut the length down
from 13" to 9-1/2", welded the inlet end cap back on, and used
elongated  3" pipe bends to create the tips.  Of course, all mandrel
bent pipe was used that I purchased from a local shop.  The mufflers are
mated with the exhaust piping with a slip fit and locked in place using
exhaust tabs spaced at 90 degrees apart.  I then had the entire muffler,
along with the rest of the system ceramic coated.

For those interested, you can see a few pictures of the fabrication of
the mufflers and exhaust system at
<http://home.earthlink.net/~arkoch/images/Exhaust%20Fabrication/>.

The pictures show the initial fabrication coming from my original turbo
stub outs.  Those stub outs were made from 2-1/2" pipe mated with the
final 3" exhaust run at the same place the stock Pantera collector mated
with the original exhaust system.  The exhaust fabrication pictures show
the subsequent fabrication of the 3" turbo stub outs mated to the rest
of the 3" exhaust using a "V" clamp instead of the stock union.  Why I
replaced my original turbo stub outs is a topic for another discussion.

If you are interested in such a setup, Flowmaster may have an economical
way to provide you with the muffler made to my specs at a reasonable
price.  Call their Special Products Division at 877-394-2878 to get
information on their making a muffler to the specs I stated above.  My
contact there told me since they would be using an existing design, they
estimated they could custom make the mufflers for around $150 each.  For
that price or one close to it, It is well worth the price not to have to
modify the muffler yourself.

Also they sell chrome tips that could be used instead of fabricating
your own
<http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3654>.

Be fore warned, the sound of my exhaust system is on the par with the
Mind Train system, with my setup louder for a naturally aspirated
engine.  In a custom designed muffler made by Flowmaster to my specs,
they could leave in the other 2 baffles.  In fact they would suggest
that for a naturally aspirated engine.

Dick Koch - Atlanta

*