[DeTomaso] Pantera Aerodynamics

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 09:51:43 EST 2008

I like that...I even understood most of it.  Real numbers from one area wouldn't mean much to us, but
relative number form several different points would be interesting.  Thanks.
Michael> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:27:27 -0800> From: davel at emspace.com> To: red3644 at hotmail.com> CC: kenn_green at yahoo.com; detomaso at realbig.com> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Pantera Aerodynamics> > I don't see anyone trying to help out with the static pressure > measurement Michael,> so maybe I can kick off some responses.> > The static pressure would be measured by placing the measurement inlet > at 90 degrees to the airflow direction.> This isn't too helpful when you don't know the airflow direction.> If you try to stop the airflow at the inlet by covering it with foam, I > think you'll be creating a local pressure increase and measuring that.> If you had a surplus pitot-static tube laying around and a way to > manoeuvre it,> you could get it pointed in the direction of max airspeed and then take > the static reading.> > Maybe more useful if you measure the pitot pressure at a point> (so changing the direction of your inlet until it you find the max, > which will be pointed directly int the flow)> and then you measure the pitot pressure in the free airstream.> > The difference between the two should be the local static pressure, because> static pressure + dynamic pressure = total pressure (a constant)> > Now - maybe somebody who knows something will give you a useful answer.> dave> > > -- > Dave Londry> Embedded Spaces Inc. (ESI)> > michael frazier wrote:> > Ken wrote: I suspect that you are comparing apples to oranges here. I think the hood raises because of low pressure above the hood's top surface and the wiper raise because of the air flow past them.> > I agree. The wipers are right in a high speed flow area, kinda 45 degree upward angle if I'm not wrong. I've been meaning to> > do some more tuft tests. The problem is getting a fast enough chase/photo car, a decent non-panicky photographer, and miles of > > empty road where you can use 2 lanes. Not as easy as it sounds.> > Another question. If I wanted to do a simple pressure test using clear tubing and water columns, how would I take wind speed out> > of the equation. Some open cell foam or filter to keep wind speed and direction issues out. Sorry, I'm not drillin' holes and mounted > > the tubes flush. That might alter the flat black flow characteristics.> > Michael> > Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa...if you mounted one of those boat propeller trailer hitch covers on your Pantera's rear cross member...which way would it turn?> > _________________________________________________________________> > >