[DeTomaso] Firewall Options

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 23:54:21 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/11/08 15 37 54, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> Let me know if you have undertaken this work and what you would suggest
> from the perspective of what to do, what replacement parts to use, etc.

The best approach is a combination of the various solutions, which each
accomplish various things.

1)   Stainless steel firewall provides lots of bling, plus some useful heat
reflection.

2)   Heat insulation keeps engine heat out of the cockpit, and also reduces
noise.

3)   Dynamat-type products dampen the vibration 'boom' of the large expanses
of sheetmetal.

On my car, starting from the rear, I have a stainless steel firewal, then 1/4
inch thick heat insulation (which is backed with mylar on one side to reflect
heat), then the stock firewall, then a layer of dynamat, then more heat
insulation/mylar.

Mine is among the quietest and most pleasant Panteras I've ever been inside
as a result.

Rick Moseley recently turned me on to Koolmat, which seems to be sort of a
combination between Dynamat and heat insulation.

http://www.koolmat.com/

Very neat stuff!   I'd consider putting this stuff on the engine side of the
firewall, as well as around the center tunnel (to keep heat from the water
pipes from entering the cabin).