[DeTomaso] Firewall Options

rimov at charter.net rimov at charter.net
Tue Nov 11 22:33:35 EST 2008

I wouldnt use aluminum to dress up the firewalll. Aluminum spots and stains and takes a lot of work to keep looking nice. I would recommend polished stainless steel with dynamat or similar product sandwitched in between for looks and sound deadening. You can cut out a template with cardboard and have a local sheetmetal business cut it out or buy a pre made one from one of the vendors. Both routes have their advantages and disadvantages, with cost and proper fitment being two challenges of buying premade covers. Time being the big dissadvantage of doing your own.

With that said there are a lot of coverings that are a lot better for sound deadening and radiant heat protection than a sheet of stainless steel, like coolmat and dynamat extreme or hood liner. If I were doing it over I would probally lean towars one of these product than making a stainless cover.

Cheers

Paul