[DeTomaso] Pantera Aerodynamics

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 17:39:11 EST 2008

Just for some more Pantera aero discussion, view this:  http://www.pixclix.com/DeTomaso/2008BB-04.jpg

Note the front deck lid.  This photo was shot during the last Big Bend race by friend working the course.
Speed was exactly 150mph.  The lid is flat and aligned while at rest.  No "habachi" grills.  From similar
photos of the car, there seems to be no front end lift at all.  It has a factory style blade type airdam.

I assume I'm blowing air past the gasket at the front and pressurizing the trunk compartment as well
as the area behind the radiator.  If you leave the trunk unlatched, it will rise up about 2 inches at speed
balanced by pressure from below and airflow on top.  I'm not sure which way the grills would flow if I
had them...probably not a whole lot either way.  I've only had them on one car and didn't see any
advantage to them. I've never had overheating issues.

Anyway, it's something to note.  I know the speed is accurate (not bad for 125hp).  No front end lift
that I noticed.  The car was stable and wandered a little over road imperfections, but that's my alignment job.
Alittle more toe would take care of that but I'm OK with it.  The back end of the car had a light oil mist (NASCAR mist)
after the 118 mile course.  What came out of the tail pipes just circulated around at the back of the car for awhile.
Any thoughts?
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa Y'all   BBORR April 2009