[DeTomaso] Gearshift linkage disaster

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Nov 9 21:42:18 EST 2008

FYI,

For a while, my car would jump out of second gear whenever I would punch it.  I feared it was the ZF, but it turned out to be a weird kind of problem.

There is a bracket that supports the "eye-bolt" support through which the turnbuckle passes.  I replaced that part with a new version that doesn't need lubrication (it's Teflon or something).  Anyway, the bracket is shaped like a square upside-down "U" and each leg is spot welded to the frame.  One of the spot welds had broken free from the frame, allowing the bracket to flex up and down slightly, and side to side a bit, so that the shift linkage hit the side of the ZF which would knock it out of gear.

Since I don't own a welder, I just drilled a hole through the bracket and frame at the spot-weld location and ran a bolt through it.  Works like a charm now, and no more slipping out of gear!

Sincerely,

Chris