[DeTomaso] Shocks

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Nov 9 13:15:31 EST 2008

Ed

Short version of how I have done it.

1) Grab one end of the metal bushing's outer flange with a vice grip and
bend it off.

2) With a torch, start the rubber inner bushing burning.  As the rubber gets
soft, blow out the flame and the inner part of the bushing can be pushed
out.

Then either of these methods work to remove the outer bushing (assuming you
do not have a press)

3a) Assemble your hacksaw with the blade in the bushing and carefully cut
the bushing to the depth of the control arm.  It will easily fall out.
Takes forever to do this 16 times.

3b) If you own airtools, I have used an air chisel that digs into the
bushing and drives it out.  Most come out easily, some do not and I have
resorted to the hacksaw method which requires lots of patience.

The vendors have the shock bushings.

JT