[DeTomaso] Replacement Headers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 21:07:39 EST 2008

Scott,

I've got Euro GTS exhausts on my car.   I love the look and the sound, but am
not so in love with the fact that the mufflers are very restrictive and are
doubtlessly costing me some much-needed horsepower.   I intend to cut mine open
and modify them this winter.   The headers are a modified Tri-Y design, and I
think they're pretty good, although perhaps a true four-into-one would be
better?

Arguably the best aftermarket exhaust ever made for the Pantera was the Mind
Train Big Throat system.   PI Motorsports still makes the headers, but for
some inexplicable reason they don't make the matching tailpipes.   Instead they
offer a horrible ricer stainless steel muffler with gawd-awful ricer exhaust
tips, as a do-it-yourself kit; you need to come up with the exhaust pipes
between the headers and the mufflers though.   The muffler works, i.e. it makes
decent power, but I wouldn't put them on a shopping cart.

Larry Stock used to offer a stainless steel tailpipe/muffler arrangement made
by the Canadian firm Brullen, but I don't think he offers them anymore.
That was a nice setup, although I would have preferred them aesthetically if they
came with Italianate baloney-cut exhaust tips.   Larry carries Hedmann
headers, which are a very high-quality four-into-one design; they are unique in that
they can be had sized for 2V exhaust ports (all the others are available in
4V size only).

Actually, what you currently have (Hall Big Bore) works quite well.   They
are cheap, and cheaply made, and it can be a struggle to get the headers on
since they aren't on a single flange (at least the last few sets I saw weren't),
but they are the only design that will work with stock tailpipes.

FWIW....