[DeTomaso] Fiero replica

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 7 15:45:48 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/7/08 1:33:24 PM, davel at emspace.com writes:

> I imagine they break but I haven't seen him to find out.....

GM used a unique sliding-joint on the outer ends of the halfshafts that
doesn't last long. The idea was to avoid the cost of a sliding coupling like the
Panteras have. But the real weak point is the circlip groove at the start of the
halfshaft splines- that is a virtual "break here" line once you get over
about 400 bhp with wide tires. Finally, the rare   limited-slips have a very short
life behind a Chev V-8. After all, the Getrag transaxle was designed for 150
bhp and shock loads shorten it even more... We sold our Fiero some time ago,
but if I really needed another project, I'd look at the DOHC V-6 in some of the
other GM small cars as a viable swap. A very elegant engine and not likely to
break driveline parts. Good luck to your friend - J Deryke

AOL
Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other Holiday needs.
Search Now.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?redir=http://searchblog.aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holidays-from-aol-search/?ncid=em
lcntussear00000001)