[DeTomaso] Engine/ZF pull - instructions & recommendations?

Scott Couchman scottcouchman at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 23:05:41 EST 2008

I'm no expert, but I've pulled my engine/ZF several times in the last year.

First on the stud vs bolt, I switched from studs to hex bolts after reviewing the change with RBT
I can remove the rear ZF mounts from the ZF with an end wrench.
This allows me to remove the ZF without removing the engine.
I've only done this once, but I was glad I had the option.
Removing the ZF alone is MUCH easier than removing the engine/ZF

As for removing the engine, I recommend removing and replacing the engine/ZF as a unit
The one totally necessary tool is a load leveler. I would not attempt to remove
an engine/ZF without one. Other than that, I can pull mine by myself in less than a day.
Remove the 6 bolts that secure the engine mounts and the 2 bolts that secure the ZF
Lift the engine/ZF and remove the engine mounts
Lift the rear of the ZF and more the engine/ZF to the rear to clear the roof
Lift the engine/ZF and level it out over the rear of the body. Engine/ZF are out.
Install in the reverse order.
Not the end of the world.......