[DeTomaso] Techno question: aluminum flywheel washers

dyogi dyogi at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 22:42:18 EST 2008

I have just purchased a Fidanza aluminum flywheel for my '73 which is going
through a "mini" restoration.  I called Fidanza techs and they told me that
washers were not required for their flywheels but I could use them if I
wanted.  I was also warned to use thin washers and check the bolt head
height after installation to ensure that the bolt heads cleared the clutch
disc.  I think Jack is referring to thermal expansion as the bolt may clear
the clutch disc when cold but if its close and expands with heat, it may
contact the clutch disc.

I was informed on one of the forums that high quality head bolts came with
hardened washers which kept the bolts from biting into the soft aluminum
during tightening.  I would assume that they would serve the same function
on the flywheel?

Aloha From Hawaii,

Dennis

Checked by AVG.