[DeTomaso] New Carb - Recommendations?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 04:26:38 EST 2008

I did mention that he got a batch of bad carbs, which didn't work well at
all--I suspect yours was one of them.

There's a lot to be said for having a carb hand-built by an expert, but
you've got to start with something.  You at least had the perfect base, and
were able to have it tweaked as necessary (you say he replaced a bunch of
parts? Other than jets, and maybe a power valve, I find that difficult to
believe?)  I don't know where Erik is starting from, i.e. what he currently
has.

****For the record, when they rebuild a carb they replace everything,
regardless of condition. It makes sense - he doesn't know how many miles the
carbs have, and if you are going through the trouble to rebuild a carb it
seems logical to have a completely new carb at the end of the process. I
have a bag full of parts that was returned to me - floats, jets, power
valves, the works. Consider it a ground-up restoration where every nut and
bolt is replaced by a new one. Buying a new carb from a carb expert is
roughly the same price (or even a little cheaper) as Larry's carb, but the
advantage is that it is already tuned for your application. If you buy a new
but generic carb from Larry or any other vendor you may require additional
tuning to customize it for your motor.